Sunday, April 26, 2009

Balance in our lives

"But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grown, brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren." (James 1:14-15)

I know that James is always considered the 'heavy-hitter' of the NT, but it can't be said enough how his harsh words are only the word of God, sent to keep us from a dead-end street with no hope. I have been really trying to understand what grace means these past few weeks. Sure, I understand it on a basic level, but how deeply is my understanding of it? When John Newton (writer of 'Amazing Grace'), turned from his life of sin, it was with a realization of how low he truly was. The same could be said of Paul, formerly Saul. Most of us don't see just how serious a sin can be in our lives. But it is these 'small' sins that have allowed the Ivan the Terrible, Pol Pot, and Hitlers of the world. That is partly why I like to read the news and keep myself intimated of just how corrupt the rest of the world is becoming. That does not mean we do not pray for our leaders or lose hope that any can be saved, but if we see just how serious things like 'not wanting to share what we have' or 'always shopping when we are less than satisfied with our lives' can cause one's heart to turn away. "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows" (I Timothy 6:10). We shouldn't take lightly what sin can do, otherwise we will never understand what grace means.

The next time any of us are struggling with any sin in our lives, rather than shouting 'why me?' or 'what's the big deal?', let us instead tell ourselves 'your grace is enough God'. I don't have all the answers, but I have no doubt that is one of the best steps one can take.

Between the time I spent at the nursing home, being with my brothers and sister at Cornerstone Friday, cooking and cleaning on Saturday, and the awesome miracle which was having my roommate come to church with me this Sunday, I know my blessings reach to the heavens. Since I am reminded of the things which gives me true peace and joy, I know how much harder I must work to stay encouraged.

1 comment:

Rachel D Kim said...

Amen! c:
I thank God so much for you, Rob- you are such a great encourager and your desire to strive for a holier life inspires me in ways you don't even know.